“Climbing up on Solsbury Hill, I could see the city light, Wind was blowing, time stood still. Eagle flew out of the night.”
Last weekend I enjoyed watching the 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction of some great rock bands like Kiss, E-Street Band and one of my all-time favorites, Peter Gabriel. Interestingly enough, our (soon-to-be) 12 year-old son and daughter were mesmerized by the old folks on stage and the cool music. My son loves Kiss, and both of them have heard me work out to Peter Gabriel’s “Solsbury Hill” more than a few times.
Besides the spiritual meaning of the song, climbing any hill is an accomplishment for a person, a team or a company. This week, we have done exactly that. We climbed a major hill together, our very own “Solsbury Hill” you may say. On June 4, we announced findings from our LTE trials using our award-winning SCRN-310 dual-band 3G/LTE Radio Node. One year ago, on the same day (June 4, 2013), we announced our 3G KPI. The findings of the new LTE trials show performance reliability results consistent with similar 3G small cell test results released 12 months ago.
- Average Call Setup Success Rate of 99.5%
- Call Drop Rate 0.4%
- Intra-E-RAN Hand-over Success Rate 99.9%
With our dual-band Radio Node, operators enable better access capacity for its enterprise subscribers, and therefore create an overall better user experience in the small cell network. Since each Radio Node has its own dedicated capacity for fast user access, the E-RAN system with dual-band Radio Nodes will need fewer Radio Nodes to connect more devices more often, as say compared to a shared antenna system.
We have already started to ship commercial orders of the multi-band 310 Radio Node to select customers. And, later this summer we’ll kick off trials of the dual-band LTE version.
Maybe we did not climb a hill, but a big mountain with this announcement?
Next week we’ll be at the Small Cell Summit & Small Cell Forum for four days of meetings in London. We’re looking forward to the June 11 award night. We’re honored by the industry and peer recognition bestowed upon SpiderCloud Wireless, HP, Intel and Vodafone. SpiderCloud is nominated for 3 awards:
- “Small cell innovation leadership”: SpiderCloud & Intel. Intel’s Edge Cloud Processing with SpiderCloud’s E-RAN
- “Small cell access point design and technology innovation”: SpiderCloud Wireless Enterprise Dual-Band 3G/LTE Radio Node
- “Small cell network element design and technology innovation”: Vodafone, HP and SpiderCloud – Enabling Context Aware Applications for People and Internet of Things
Earlier this year, SpiderCloud and Vodafone UK won the “2014 Global Telecoms Business Innovation Award” for “Wireless Network Infrastructure Innovation” for Vodafone’s Sure Signal Premium, a reliable indoor mobile coverage and capacity service using SpiderCloud Wireless’ scalable small cell system connected to NEC’s security gateways in Vodafone’s network.
After London, SpiderCloud is off to Singapore for CommunicAsia and to Chicago for LightReading’s The Big Telecom Event to speak about Enterprise Small Cells.
In Chicago, SpiderCloud is nominated for 2 awards in LightReading 10th annual “Leading Lights” Awards taking place on June 17.
- “Private Company of the Year” Awarded to the privately held firm that stands out from it competitors, innovates constantly, makes investors proud, and makes employees happy” SpiderCloud Wireless is one of eight companies nominated.
- “Best New Product for Mobile” Awarded to the company that has developed a potentially market-leading product that, through engineering and technical excellence, enables the deployment of profitable next-generation mobile services. SpiderCloud’s award-winning dual-band Radio Node (SCRN-310) is one of eight products nominated.
After Chicago, we’re off to Amsterdam on June 23-24 for Informa’s LTE World Summit where we are also nominated for Telecoms.com’s “Most Innovative LTE Application/Service” award for our E-RAN Estimator Application.
This summer, find your own hill or mountain to climb. And, if you need a highly motivating song to help you, fire up Rock’n Roll Hall of Fame Peter Gabriel’s “Solsbury Hill.”
A big thank you to our investors: Charles River Ventures, Matrix Partners, Opus Capital and Shasta Ventures. Have a safe and sound summer.
– Ronny Haraldsvik